May 21, 2014

Book Review: TIME AFTER TIME by Tamara Ireland Stone


Book: Time After Time
Author:  Tamara Ireland Stone
Publisher:  Disney-Hyperion
Genre:  YA Romance; Fiction

“I don’t have anything, not one single thing, that I want.  I get to have this tiny little taste of all these incredible things but I don’t get to keep any of them.  I get to meet you and be part of your life..but I don’t get to hold on to any of it.  I can't stay here.  This isn’t my home.  And every time I have to go back, it kills me.  Every.  Single.  Time.  And it always will.”- Bennett

Synopsis Via Goodreads:

Calling Anna and Bennett’s romance long distance is an understatement: she’s from 1995 Chicago and he’s a time traveler from 2012 San Francisco. The two of them never should have met, but they did. They fell in love, even though they knew they shouldn't. And they found a way to stay together, against all odds. 

It’s
not a perfect arrangement, though, with Bennett unable to stay in the past for more than brief visits, skipping out on big chunks of his present in order to be with Anna in hers. They each are confident that they’ll find a way to make things work...until Bennett witnesses a single event he never should have seen (and certainly never expected to). Will the decisions he makes from that point on cement a future he doesn't want?

My Summary:

Picking up a few weeks after Time Between Us, Bennett still tries to be with Anna as much as he can although he has a harder time staying in the past especially after a Do-Over.

A do-over is when he purposely changes an event that has transpired using his time traveling abilities, mostly to save people from pain or death.  Anna was the first to convince him to do so to save her best friend from a tragic accident. He continues to help others with the best intentions till he realizes that it would kill him eventually as the pain he suffers after every do over gets worse, to the point that he bleeds excessively and loses actual days.

Then tragedy strikes Anna’s family.  Knowing he is the only one who could change everything tears him apart.  Should he rewrite Anna’s future or take a chance in losing the one person he never should have met in the first place?

My Review:

Knocked back is the term they use referring to Bennett getting pulled back to the time he originates from without his control.  And that’s how I feel after reading this.

Don’t get me wrong, it is a well written book with a nice plot and endearing characters.  But, I feel it has no resolution in the end because of the impossibility of the characters’ choices.

That said.  Both Anna and Bennett are good people.  I like that Anna, at the end of Time Between Us, grows a backbone that changes her future and Bennett’s.  Time After Time is told in Bennett’s point of view and it is refreshing

The idea of time travel interests me as well as the ripple effect so this had the perfect plot to hold my attention.  And in everything else, it really was an enjoyable read.  Perhaps I was expecting a different ending, a sadder yet believable conclusion.  But then again I suppose I shouldn’t bother for that’s what this whole thing is about isn’t it? Suspension of disbelief.  Pure and simple.  So keep that in mind before picking up this book.

All photos have been lifted from www.goodreads.com


No comments:

Post a Comment